Monday, August 15, 2011

Memories of Mum

Yesterday afternoon the Nixon family saw their matriarch pass from this earth. Mum, as she was called by us great grandkids, was almost 96 years old. Below are some pictures, new and old, of my great grandmother followed by some of my fondest memories of her.

Two weeks ago, the last time we were in Shafter, we went by and saw Mum. Thankfully I remembered my camera. Dillon wasn't to sure about sitting on her lap, so he posed for the picture next to her.

This picture of Kaleb and Mum is too cute.

Papa was happy that he was able to get a picture with his six grandkids and his grandmother.

Mum holding a 2 and 1/2 month old Connor and 2 and 1/2 year old Dillon, Christmastime 2008. Click here for another picture from that visit.

Five generations of Nixons taken when Dillon was one month old.

I am not sure when this picture of my Dad and Mum was taken but early 2000s would be my guess.

I don't remember seeing Mum out of her house except for special occasions like weddings and the annual Nixon Christmas party.

The context of this picture is unknown, but I like to think that Mum just cracked a joke about my Dad's pants not being long enough.

Though having these pictures are great, it's my memories with her that I will cherish the most. I will always remember:
  • Her house on 1st Street.
  • There always being a cold soda in her fridge and ice cream in her freezer.
  • Her evil/overly protective poodle Josh.
  • The motor-home in the backyard.
  • Her laugh.
  • Watching my Dad mow her yard.
  • Riding my bike across town so I could mow her yard.
  • Her telling me she would "Whoop me" if I didn't let her pay me for mowing her yard.
  • Visiting her on a weekly basis with my parents. (This is one of the greatest things my parents taught me that I hope to pass along to our children.)
  • Listening to the family gossip. She was the central hub of Nixon related information.
  • The family picture of all her grandchildren taken in the 1970's and the wooden paneling on her walls from the same era (see picture above for both).
  • Never wanting to play in the back two bedrooms because they creeped me out. There was no logical explanation for this.
  • Her fireplace keeping the house a toasty 90 degrees in the winter.
  • Pictures of her great grandkids on the fireplace mantel.
  • The Ford Mustang.
  • Her love for all her family.
  • Giving her a hug goodbye as she sat in her chair.
  • Giving her that final hug goodbye two weeks ago.
I consider myself blessed that I was able to know a great grandmother for thirty years. I am even more blessed that Josephine Nixon was that great grandmother. We love you and will miss you Mum.

Please feel free to post your favorite memory of Mum in the comments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks Jimbo I liked to never got it read to PaPA GOOD JOB
Grand DeDe