Thursday, May 11, 2006

I love this game?

It’s been almost a week now. I have had time to calm down, contemplate, and put some coherent thoughts together. All five senses were thrown out of whack. For a week and half the world had turned upside down. Every basketball fan knows what I am talking about, the Phoenix-LA first round playoff series.

***

It was the end of the regular season and Kobe had done the unthinkable, threw up Jordan like stats, led his make-shift team to the playoffs, and even had a nice winning streak to end the season. I was still skeptical. Yes, the Lakers had just spanked the Suns in their last meeting of the regular season, but Steve Nash sat out the game. I could not get over the fact the Lakers had yet to beat the Suns when Steve Nash was in the lineup.

Game 1 started much like everyone expected, the Lakers not being able to keep up with the runnin’ and gunnin’ Suns. But still something was different about LA, they were playing like a team. It wasn’t all about Kobe. They continued to pound the ball inside and took advantage of the weak front line of the Suns. By the fourth quarter the Lakers had fought their way back into the game, but a couple of no-calls later (which of course went the Suns way) and Phoenix had squeaked by for a 1-0 lead.

The next two games the Lakers stuck to their game plan of making Kobe a play-maker, not a scorer, and using the big men to take the 2-1 lead. Did Phil Jackson know Phoenix had a weak link all season but refused to exploit it during the regular season in case they met in the playoffs?

Game 4 was a classic. Laker fans knew after Game 4 who the real MVP was, as evident to Nash’s two critical turnovers and Kobe’s two heroic shots. The series was all but over. If Chick was still announcing he would have put the series in the fridge, the lights were out, the eggs were cooling, the butter was getting hard, and the Jell-O was jiggling. The Suns had just suffered a Level 2 Stomach Punch game.

I underestimated one thing though: Steve Nash’s ability to pick himself up and move on. For the next three games he kept plugging away, running the pick and roll perfectly. He was the difference maker. True, other players like Barbosa, Diaw, and Tim Thomas stepped up, but Steve Nash stayed true to himself.

In the end the better team won. Sadly every Laker fan knew it.

***

I guess the best way to describe the Suns would be to compare them to my Uncle Larry. Like my uncle, the Suns have a fun attitude that surrounds them. Like my uncle, their unselfishness is contagious and great to watch. Like my uncle, the Suns can make you smile even if you have told yourself to play it tough. My uncle has also been known to have a short fuse. To no one’s surprise my uncle has thrown a cell phone across the room, you can see where it is easy to replace my uncle with Raja Bell and the cell phone with Kobe.

***

Did I just compare the Suns to my uncle? Maybe I haven’t recovered from the Lakers collapse after all.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I fully except that comparison, probably the last time I will be compared to anything remotely athletic. For now on behalf of all Suns fans everywhere, you are a brave Laker fan to admit that the best team won. I just hope that Nash is in the starting line up for our game next season it would be a long ride home with you if they lose.........

Anonymous said...

I think you summed it up pretty well. It's gonna be a long off season. You know what sucks? I think that Shaq is still in the playoffs. Sorry kobe.

Adam said...

As Nelson Muntz would say, "Ha ha!"

Craig said...

Your kidding me about the No calls going the Suns way right? What about Steve Nash's Timeout/ he got hammered in game 4? Lets be honest it seemed like the league was willing the Lakers into the second round.

Jimmie said...

First, let me thanks my family and friends for their wonderful support (read with lots of sarcasm).

Second, Nash's timeout no call could be attributed to him being screened from the ref's view of him trying to call a timeout. If anyone is to blame it would be the rest of the Suns players and coaches for not helping Nash out by calling the TO for him.

Anonymous said...

Craig seems to have gotten the point! You are out numbered on this one! The other Suns player couldn't have helped he was facing the Ref! The Ref must have been even to busy to call the fouls?
But you are welcome for the support! (answered with even more sarcasm)
Better luck next season? So who are you pulling for now? Tell me the Suns?

Jimmie said...

I guess that I would be "rooting" for the Mavs. It is sort of a defualt rooting, I am sick of the Spurs and Pistons and the Mavs are the only team that can beat either/both teams. Plus I like Mark Cuban and what he has done for the league.

Craig said...

Hey Jimmie did you see Raja Bell score 33 and lose yesterday? Looks like more of Kobe rubbed off on him than we thought.