Saturday, July 01, 2006

Alphabet Soup

ARE (Acronym Rich Environment). That is the best way to describe where I work. When I started my job at TC's HSA (Tuolumne County's Human Services Agency) I didn't have a clue how many acronyms were used by the government. Of course we have all heard of the FBI (they're watching), IRS (they're taking, just not from the rich), and DMV (they're still slow) but there are hundreds more that I deal with on a daily basis.

For starters, HSA is made up of DSS (Department of Social Services), PH (Public Health), and EH (Environmental Health). DSS is given yearly allocations from CDSS (California Department of Social Services) for CWS (Child Welfare Services), APS (Adult Protective Services), IHSS (In Home Support Services), and CalWORKs (California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids) just to name a few.

PH is funded by VLF (Vehicle Licensing Fees) and programs such as MAA (Medical Administration Activities) and TCM (Targeted Case Management).

I will spare you all the acronyms of the actual positions within HSA. But as CFO (Chief Fiscal Officer) my job is to make sure each and every one of them is funded. For example, on Monday I was in downtown LA receiving approval for a $1 million EHAPCD (Emergency Housing and Assistance Program Capital Development) grant for our ILP (Independent Living Program) and EY (Emancipated Youth) program.

I also work closely with other departments in the county. For example, I deal with the BOS (Board of Supervisors), CAO (County Administration Officer), HR (Human Resources), and CTMA (County of Tuolumne Management Association).

And now that I am a CPA I have to deal with AICPA (American Institute of Certified Public Accountants), NASBA (National Association of State Boards of Accountancy), and CPE (Continuing Professional Education).

IMHO, learning all of these acronyms has been on the job training. Unfortunately, college did not prepare me because the only acronyms that I can remember are FPU, DMB, and GTA.

In a year or so Dillon will be learning his alphabets. I just hope I can keep them in the correct order. LOL!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

rDILLON ALREADY KNOWS HIS ABC'S, HE IS SO SMARTEST NEWBORN EVER, AND MOST HANDSOME

Anonymous said...

DILLON IS THE SMARTEST NEWBORN EVER,