Monday, August 28, 2006

To Bumpass Hell and Back

It was a good vacation, while it lasted. Now that I am back to the grind, I thought I would reflect a little on the previous week.



We arrived at our cabin, located in a nice country club, Saturday afternoon. The cabin had been pitched to us as a spacious house with a beautiful lake view and hot tub. Well, the hot tub didn't disappoint. The only thing spacious about the house was the basement, don't even ask me about the smallness of the kitchen. The lake view turned out to be a tiny sliver that could barely be seen through the trees. But we made the best of our situation throughout the week.



On Monday we rented a ski boat for half the day. James and I had some vicious tube wars, with James (a tube war veteran) being the victor the majority of the time. We even got Christina and Michelle to get on the inner tubes. Of course, they didn't trust James or I to be the driver because they were afraid of being thrown off. Party poopers.



The nights were spent playing Uno, holding Dillon, and spending time in the basement around the ping pong table. Michelle and Christina loved playing Uno. I did learn how to play Speed Uno, which makes the game much more enjoyable.



As for Dillon, he was very good. Before we left he had been sleeping through the night (which is a big deal for all you non-parents out there) but the disruption caused him to wake up at 4:30 every morning. Other than that Dillon did exceptionally well. Of course, Aunt Michelle and Grandma loved holding him.



Poor James. He tries so hard but he just can't beat me in table tennis. My ping pong skills are no match for mere mortals. James now knows how Ray Barone feels after playing Frank in ping pong.



We ended our vacation with a trip to Lassen National Park. We hiked into Bumpass Hell, which is a nice three mile round trip. (Before last year, Bumpass Hell would be the funniest name in Lassen National Park, but now Brokeoff Mountain takes the prize.) The picture below shows how close we could get to the scolding hot water. What the picture can't portray is the awful sulfuric stench emanating from the ground. The sights and sounds were breathtaking, figuratively and literally.

5 comments:

Jimmie said...

James, you better hope there are ping pong tables in Europe because as you are prancing around in France with your man purse I will be honing my tremendous tennis table skills.

Adam said...

I like the first picture where you've handed off Dillon and you and Christina are coddling Otis. That's how I feel about parenting too.

Anonymous said...

Your vacation is over, but can I retroactively pray that you were wearing sunscreen the whole time?

Jimmie said...

You can rest assured I properly applied sunscreen the entire trip. I went an entire week in the sun without getting burned.

The same can't be said for Dillon. His face got a little sun/wind burned on our trip to Lassen.

Anonymous said...

I had just started to write a rant about you and sunscreen, then it dawned on me the rebuttal would be a line about Fake-n-bake? So I will give up on that?