Friday, March 17, 2006

The Dance

I refuse to title this post "March Madness" because every one else has that for their blogs. I also refuse to write about my picks that I entered in our office pool because in all honesty I could care less what everyone else picked so I will assume the same for you and spare reciting my entire bracket to you. I will tell you that I am running the office pool this year, which brings back memories of the tournament during college.

In the four years of college I think I only went to one class during the first round of the tournament (and that was only to take a required test.) My favorite March Madness memory is creating the giant wall sized bracket in our apartment my junior and senior year. Another great memory was during my freshman year some one walked into our dorm and said they could hear us cheering across campus.

Here is some academia for you SAT style, Gonzaga : Jimmie :: Kryptonite : Superman. They have busted my bracket five straight years and it looks as if the are primed to do it again this year.

This year I decided to not take time off from work to watch the first round of games. This has turned out to be a mistake. Don't get me wrong, I am still following the games via the March Madness on Demand, the CBS scoreboard, and TiVo but I miss talking basketball with my friends. Last year Dana, Craig, and I had a great time during the first two rounds of the Tournament discussing the games and trying to find the Cingular "Bars" during their new commercials. (One problem with watching eight hours of basketball a day is that you always see the same commercials. I was glad that last year Cingular began airing their commercials that had the "Bars" in every single shot. It allowed watching the same commercial over and over enjoyable because it was like playing Where's Waldo and you needed numerous viewings of the same commercial to try to find every "bar".)

Finally, I love this Sports Guy mini-column showing the thought process of his wife and mother as they fill out their brackets. It really hit home with me this year because 80% of the office pool I am running are female. Of course, their results most likely will blow my bracket out of the water but that is what makes this time of year so crazy.

No comments: