Tuesday, March 14, 2006

WBC

I am very glad to see the World Baseball Classic has been so successful. Before it began I was reading a lot of bad press about how it was a terrible idea and no one will care about it. Though the latter may still be true here in the US it appears to me that the WBC has taken hold in the other participating countries. I can now see why the World Cup is so important to all soccer fans.

My one beef with the WBC is due to ESPN's decision when to air games. I can understand tape delaying games last weekend when conference tournaments were being aired in prime time but can anyone explain to me why the US-Korea game was not being aired live last night? Has ESPN not learned anything from the recent Olympics? Do they not know that Americans have no desire to watch sporting events on tape delay in this age of information?

Though Team USA has been a huge disappointment (thanks for nothing Dontrelle Willis) I have been very excited to see meaningful baseball games in March. Bud Selig may have a bunch of black marks during his tenure as commisioner but the WBC has a chance of becoming something special in years to come.

1 comment:

Craig said...

Hey Jimmie, I know it is great with the WBC but get focused and talk March Madness, I hope i picked the opposite of you on Gonzaga. This looks like it could be a fun year with a lot of upsets. So Set your Tivo(DVR) and make sure you always know where the "boss button" is. Have fun