Monday, July 23, 2007

Milestones

Anyone who watches SportsCenter knows that baseball players (and teams) have reached numerous milestones this season. The milestones have been from Craig Biggio's 3,000 hits to the Big Hurt's 500th homer to the Phillies' 10,000 loss to Barry closing in on 755 just to name a few.

But today I hit 100 posts. So the following links are all about me and my favorite things.

***

My fastest time was .14 seconds at this website that shows you how fast a 90 mile per hour pitch reaches the plate. By the way, I hit a single the second time and homered on the fourth pitch I saw.

***

I was recently telling Craig about one of my favorite columns, called Uni Watch, featured on Page 2. Last month Uni Watch wrote about baseball minor league teams and the crazy promotions. It mentions the Fresno Grizzlies and their awesome Price is Right promotion. This new Uni Watch article has even crazier promotions (this Jimmy Buffett one should please my Uncle Larry). But the promotion that really caught my eye was Redneck Night put on by the Kansas City T-Bones. If you look close enough you can see most of my family in attendance.

***

Dana attempted to make himself into a Simpsons character earlier in the month but a newer website has appeared that makes it much easier. Someone even used it to make animated Lost characters.

***
The Sports Guy has a great article on the latest gambling scandal going on in the NBA. Phoenix Suns fans beware.

***

An academic look at the history, humor, and language of farts.

***

I don't know how or why we didn't make a strike zone for our wiffleball games while we were in college but I have gone ahead and made one for myself. I used pvc pipe and a piece of sheet metal, which makes a nice sound when you throw a strike. I included a photo of myself to give you a nice perspective. Obviously, my work is much better than anything this guy could make.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute!
But wheres Dillon?

Jimmie said...

We haven't taken any new pictures of Dillon lately.

Adam said...

The strike zone is genius, but as far as I go, I made something like that totally unnecessary as I swung away at every pitch until a strikeout or hit. What's a ball?

Adam said...

Out of my first 9 pitches, two swing and a misses, and 7 home runs. But my fastest time was only .16 seconds.

Jimmie said...

After playing around with the 90 mph fastball website I figured out anything faster than a .18 is a homer.

As for the strike zone, one benefit is even if you swing and miss you still know if it was going to be a ball or a strike had you not swung.

Adam said...

Yes, it's true, a very good training tool for the pitcher at least.

Ryan said...

How did you make that? I am wondering because me and my friends are always arguin about balls and strikes and we desperatly need a strike zone. so if you could give me dimensions and stuff that would be nice. thank you.

Jimmie said...

The dimensions of the strike zone are 24 inches by 30 inches. It stands 16 inches above the ground. I used cable ties to connect the sheet metal to the pvc.